About the Algae: Spirulina is the common name of the cyanobacteria Arthrospira plantensis. It is commonly found all around the world making it one of the rare endemic strains of the Earth. It is also an extremophile for pH, it does very well at pH ranges up to 10.5. Spirulina is commonly used as a food or nutraceutical for humans and animals. It contains the pigment phycocyanin which is a water soluble phycobilin or photosynthetic protein. It is shaped as a beautiful helical colony called a tricome.
Algae Culture Kit for Microalgae. We have perfected the method and supplies for anyone to grow an ecologically or industrially important strain of algae. It contains everything you need to grow a laboratory-grade culture at home or at your desk, it is great for a science fair or even art projects!
- Information about the strain of algae
- Culture care lessons
- Illustrated growing protocol
- Lifecycle background of batch-culture cycles
- Tissue culture flask
- (50 ml volume)
- Breathable cap
- 1ml in a dense culture in a 1.5ml microcentrifuge tube
- Small bag of salt to make 500ml (1/2 liter) of media
- Salts should be added to a 500ml bottle of drinking water (water not included in the kit)