About the Algae: The microalga Porphyridium sp. (Rhodophyta) is a potential source for several products like fatty acids, lipids, cell-wall polysaccharides and pigments. The polysaccharides of this species are sulfated and their structure gives rise to some unique properties that could lead to a broad range of industrial and pharmaceutical applications. This is one of the ONLY red microalgae. It is used by researchers to study the red protein-based pigment phycoerythrine. Often used by the aquaculture community to bring RED color into filter feeders.
Algae Culture Kit for Microalgae. We have perfected the method and supplies for anyone to grow an ecologically or industrially important strain of algae. It contains everything you need to grow a laboratory-grade culture at home or at your desk!
- Information about the strain of algae
- Illustrated growing protocol
- Lifecycle background of batch-culture cycles
- Culture care lessons
- Tissue culture flask
- (50 ml volume)
- Breathable cap
- 1ml in a dense culture in a 1.5ml microcentrifuge tube
- Small bag of salt to make 500ml (1/2 liter) of media
- Salts should be added to a 500ml bottle of drinking water (water not included in the kit)