Algae Culture Kit for Chlorella vulgaris.
This kit includes the method and supplies for anyone to grow an ecologically and industrially important strain of algae. It contains everything you need to grow a laboratory-grade culture at home or at your desk! It includes the following:
- Instructions: information about the strain of algae, illustrated growing protocol, culture care lessons, life-cycle background of batch-culture cycles.
- Culture flask: tissue culture flask (50 ml volume) with a breathable cap (included in the smallest kit only)
- Culture inoculum: 1ml in a dense culture in a 1.5ml micro-centrifuge tube.
- Nutrient Fertilizer: our nutrients are a modification of the media formula called f/2 (Guillard and Ryther 1962, Guillard 1975). It uses NaNO3 (sodium nitrate) and NaPO4 (sodium phosphate) as the nitrogen and phosphorus sources.
- Culturing Salts: Add salts to a 500ml bottle of drinking water (water not included in the kit).
Different strains of algae have a preference for their water quality. The salts provide a needed carbon source as well as slow the growth of competitive algae strains (weeds).
Great for science fair projects!