About the Algae: Nannochloropsis is a genus of alga within the heterokont line of eukaryotes. While they can be found in fresh and brackish waters, Nannochloropsis widely occurs in saltwater world-wide. Some Nannochloropsis species have been shown to be suitable for algal biofuel production and are popular for use in aquaculture feed and dietary supplements. Nannochloropsis is a bulldog of an algae strain, It is great for science projects as it stays in suspension and is difficult to kill.
We have perfected the method and supplies for anyone to grow an ecologically or industrially important strain of algae. It contains everything you need to grow a laboratory-grade culture at home or at your desk, it is great for science fair projects!
NOT INCLUDED: chlorine-free water, a growing vessel (such as a 10-gallon fish tank), air supply (small air pump, not the band, but if you could get the band to sing to the culture- that would be amazing!).
- Information about the strain of algae
- Culture care lessons
- Illustrated growing protocol
- Lifecycle background of batch-culture cycles
- Tissue culture flask
- (50 ml volume)
- Breathable cap
- 1ml in a dense culture in a 1.5ml microcentrifuge tube
- Small bag of salt to make 500ml (1/2 liter) of media
- Salts should be added to a 500ml bottle of drinking water (water not included in the kit)