About the Algae: The Microalga Isochrysis galbana is a great feeder algae. We know when it is happy and healthy because when you smell it, it smells like low tide! The high lipid and DHA content make it popular as an aquaculture feed for animals such as bivalves, crustaceans, and zooplankton. Some of our coral reef friends love this strain as it brings great pigmentation into the corals.
We have perfected the method and supplies for anyone to grow an ecologically or industrially important strain of algae. It contains everything you need to grow a laboratory-grade culture at home or at your desk, it is great for science fair projects!
- Information about the strain of algae
- Culture care lessons
- Illustrated growing protocol
- Lifecycle background of batch-culture cycles
- Tissue culture flask
- (50 ml volume)
- Breathable cap
- 1ml in a dense culture in a 1.5ml microcentrifuge tube
- Small bag of salt to make 500ml (1/2 liter) of media
- Salts should be added to a 500ml bottle of drinking water (water not included in the kit)